Our alliance with Ambition Instute
We have partnered with Ambition Institute through their national alliace to deliver the National Professional Qualification for Middle Leadership (NPQML). You can find out more about Ambition Institute and our alliance with them by visiting their website.
We work closely with Ambition to ensure our offer meets all the requirements and metrics as set out by the Department for Education and per the terms of Ambition's licence. This is to ensure the quality and consistency of the NPQML qualification at a national level.
You can find details of these requirements and metrics here, as well as current performance against them on Ambition's website. As a partner, we contribute to the overall performance of Ambition against these requirements and metrics Institute in relation to the NPQML.
About the programme
The NPQML programme is designed to help those aspiring to, or currently performing within a middle leadership role to develop their performance and leadership skills in leading a team.
The programme will equip participants with the necessary skills and knowledge to achieve the NPQML qualification.
The course consists of the following:
- 6 face-to-face facilitated training session (twilight);
- 360 tool for self-evaluation against core leadership competencies;
- 1 school improvement project (over at least two terms) and submit a written assignment for assessment within 18 months of the programme start date.
The NPQML curriculum covers 6 competency and leadership behaviour areas which are assessed over one written assignment, which are:
|Commitment||Strategy and Improvement|
|Collaboration||Leading with impact|
|Resilience||Teaching and Curriculum Excellence|
|Awareness||Managing Resources and Risk|
|Integrity||Working in Partnership|
To support you in completing your NPQML our offer includes:
- Expert-designed curriculum, content and resources which align to the leadership behaviours and competencies as provided by Ambition
- Minimum of 18 hours of face to face facilitated training sessions (due to the current climate we are operating in, our sessions are delivered virtually)
- Two 360 reviews - one at the beginning and one at the end of the programme
- A network of peers and access to relevant experts
- Assessment and final submission support
- A programme that is delivered by trained and quality assured facilitators who are at least 50% serving school leaders
Our programme is suitable for the following:
Teachers who are aspiring to middle leadership and who meet the following criteria:
- Likely to be in a middle leadership role in the next 12-18 months
- Have completed at least on year full-time teaching
Those currently in middle leadership roles who fit within in the following criteria.
Secondary Schools - middle leaders who have roles such as head of department, head of year or a whole-school leadership role (for example SEN), or a second in charge of a department or pastoral area.
Primary Schools - middle leaders who have roles such as phase leaders; key stage leaders or a whole-school lead role (for example, literacy)
In order to receive the qualification, middle/aspiring leaders will need to be able to complete the project element of the qualification successfully. This will need to focus on an improvement project in their team, last for at least two terms, be aimed at improving pupil progress and attainment and the capability of their te.am. It is essential that the school understands this element of the programme and the support that will be required of them when they are placing participants on the programme. It is also essential that participants attend all training sessions.
To express your interest your interest in the NPQML programme, please contact Sarah Flight.
Please see below for relevant Ambition polices relating to the NPQML programme